Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Half Marathon......DONE !!!

Sorry it took so long to post this, but for you folks around Macon, and if you've been watching the news ya'll will understand I have been a lil busy. ( I'm a Crime Scene Investigator....hint hint )

Anyway it's official, I have my first official Half Marathon in the books.

The morning started out brisk and cold. I think the official start time temp was 21 degrees.

I had dressed appropriately enough for the run I was guessing, and then after hearing Tim talk about it, I decided to take at least one shirt off.
So that gave me two pair of tights, and a pair of running shorts and wind pants for the lower half. The upper half consisted of a technical tee ( 2008 LDRR ) , sleeveless tee ( Macon Tracks ), and a long sleeved technical tee and a fleece pullover. I also had a scarf and a stocking cap and convertible mittens.

I never got cold in this outfit and never really got overly warm.

So once the gun sounded me and my running partner for most of the day ( Bo Drinkard ), were off.

We had decided on running the Galloway method, using a 5-1 ratio (5 running and 1 walking ), since this was his first half marathon as well as mine. My longest run since Bartram Forest had been only 6 miles, and the run at Bartram was mixed with limited break periods.

I'm not going to give a mile by mile report, since that would be boring and I'm not that good of a writer anyway.

Some of the highlights of the run:
Bo's 2 minute potty break at water stop one....LOL
Being able to flex for the camera when we saw Tommy on the back part of the flight line.
I was able to stay with Bo for the first 9 miles of the race, then the lack of serious preparation miles began catching up on me, so I let him head on to keep his pace up.

I was able to hook up with a nice lady from Minnesota who was here for the race. She said her name was Sam and she was here working on her running streak that she has kept going since Jan. 26, 1985.........She has ran every MONTH, either a MARATHON or ULTRA-MARATHON since the streak started ( I think we did the math and it came up to 274 ) WOW what a streak !!!

Well my streak started that day with a half marathon at the Warner Robins Museum of Aviation.

I now consider myself a runner.....for life. I want to thank all my friends who helped make this dream come true ( Amy, Tim, Kerry, Dave, Monika, Perry, Alana, Macon Tracks Club )

Now it's time to start training for my first Marathon...........Deb ya ready to push me !!!!

2 comments:

  1. Get those shoes on and lets start training for a marathon!! May I suggest a local race? It's very friendly and you already know the RDs.

    Just ask MTRC about the Make it By midnight race for a full report....

    OK, so that might NOT be the best first marathon. On a more serious note, let me know if/when you want to hit one.

    -deborah

    ReplyDelete