Thursday, December 18, 2008

Awesome Down Town Run

Man what an awesome night to run downtown !!!
The weather was nice and as Goldilocks would say the temperature was just right !

I met up with my usual running partners, Tim and Amy. We decided to meet up at 5 at the Gateway since Amy had FitCamp at 6:00 p.m.

We also decided to run from there, up Mulberry St., to First St., to Washington Ave. to College St. and meet up with the Mercer Run Group.

We ( I say we, I let Tim and Amy pick up their pace and leave me behind at College and Forsyth. ), met up with Monika, F.M. Leora, Kevin, and the rest of the Mercer Run Group on the Mercer Campus.

We left there and headed back up College Street. After a couple blocks I let the others go on their merry way and kept to my own pace.

But ya know something, I learned something important tonight. I see why real runners warm up before races by doing a mile or so warm up run. Cause I saw how sucky slow my early pace was. But after leaving the Campus, I saw myself picking up my pace and feeling great about it. I even hollered at the faster group a block ahead of me...."Don't let me catch ya'll".....LOL

And believe it or not I did catch them ( while they were waiting for the light to change to cross the road ) I passed them as they were going straight up College Street and I was turning right on Georgia Ave. to follow Tim and Amy on our way back toward Gateway.

I got back to the Gateway Building shortly after Tim and Amy got back. Amy had already gone inside (she better not be late for Ricks class). Tim was like "Good job Bud", I was like my Garmin says 3.85 miles, let's keep going so we can log that magical 5 miles. Well Tim is one to never turn down "more miles", so we were off to finish that 5.

We finished it off circling downtown around Cherry Street, Walnut and back to the Gateway.

What an awesome run downtown.......if ya don't take the opportunity to run downtown, ya'll are missing out.

Overall it was a good night, as after the run, me and Tim went to the SWAT Christmas party for some carb loading (spaghetti and lasagna, not beer...LOL) as Tim and I are both medical support for the SWAT Team. It was a special night for me, as I received two awards from the SWAT Team, as earlier this year I retired from active duty after 11 years as a SWAT member, Sniper Team Leader, and swapped over to a SWAT Medic position after graduating EMT school.

All and all it was a good night.....good friends.....good run....good food !!!

See ya after the next training session !!!

1 comment:

  1. Umm...so you can teach me how to shoot??...Mr. Sniper Team Leader...

    It was a great run! Thanks for meeting me down there!

    ReplyDelete